You know what’s more lovely than a cool glass of prosecco in the summer time on a patio over looking a vineyard?
This salad. Andrew and I went out to dinner the other night and one of their specials was an heirloom tomato salad with a citrus vinaigrette and tangy blue cheese crumbles.
Natrually we had to try it.
And we loved it.
So I savored those flavors on my tongue, took some mental notes and promised to recreate it the next time I was craving a tangy salad.
Which was three days later.. And I got prettttty darn close if I do say so myself.
Skinny Heirloom Tomato Summer Salad
You will need:
– Handful of heirloom tomatoes. I buy the heirloom grape tomatoes from Trader Joe’s because they are delicious, beautiful and affordable.
– Half a lemon.
– A couple drizzles of high quality Olive Oil. Lately I’ve been obsessed with Georgia grown Olive Oil. So good and so mineral-y: plus most olive oil’s on the shelves are actually fake, you’ll want to know your olive oil farmer as much as you want to know where your meat comes from!
– A few pinches of Parsley.
– A thumb of blue cheese crumbled to taste. I used Maytag blue cheese because it has an extra nutty-ness to it that I enjoy!
– Salt and pepper optional.
Half your tomatoes and place on a plate. Squeeze the lemon and add a few drizzles of olive oil on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Not too much but you need just a hint to add some complexity to the dish. Crumble your blue cheese, and garnish/ enhance with parsley. Serve chilled.
It took all of five minutes to make this recipe and less than 2 minutes to eat it!
Your friends will be particularly impressed with the dish you created for them and think you must have learned this from a chef on your recent trip to Italy.
I just love heirloom tomatoes and it’s been a quick minute since my last heirloom tomato recipe I made for you guys.