In today’s world, we often get caught up in the daily hustle and grind to make more, be more, achieve more, and have more with occasional stops along to the way to donate to a charity at the checkout line, or passively drop change into a stranger’s outstretched hand on the street. But charity and giving doesn’t have to be passive or a Chrismas/ Holiday endeavor, if we all make it a part of our weekly routine, we might all be able to inspire the good we want to see in the world.
If there were one thing I could change about myself it would be my commitment to giving back. I always say I’m going to volunteer at a children’s hospital, or help out at the local food shelter, but when it comes to taking action, I talk myself out of it due to not being able to emotionally cope with the tragedies that those I would be helping have to deal with on a daily basis. When my worst day these last couple of weeks have been filled with anxiety and tears, I still had life’s modern luxuries and a loving family to support me through the bad times. Most of the people I would love to help, might not be able to help themselves, or are fighting a battle I couldn’t in my wildest dreams fathom surviving. However, when I can, I do give back monetarily to the causes that tug at my heartstrings, which is why I’m glad to be promoting Jewelers Mutual’s Insurance Company who is set to donate $2 Million to support three important causes – health, home and hunger through their corporate giving campaign called Band Together. The nonprofits they are benefiting are: St. Judes Research Hospital, Habitat for Humanity, and Feeding America/ Food Banks of Canada.
Since it is almost Christmas in July, why don’t we get a head start on giving back to our community by joining Jewelers Mutual in their Band Together campaign? Let’s band together with Jewelers Mutual to help decide how to disperse the record-breaking donation ($2M!!) by voting for your choice of causes from July 11th to July 31st! The cause that receives the most votes by the end of July will receive a $1M donation from Jewelers Mutual whereas the runner ups will receive $700K and $300K respectively. Jewelers Mutual also wants you to get something for giving back so throughout the three-week campaign, voters will be entered for a chance to win weekly jewelry prizes from STACKED New York. Each week, one lucky winner will receive a set of 3 stacking bands ($450 value) and each daily vote increases your chance of winning!
Five Ways to Give Back Year Round
- Shop from Thrift and Goodwill stores! These stores employ those who are in need of jobs and help put people to work to build a career.
- Donate gently used clothing to charities that help women build career wardrobes. Women have a hard time emotionally bouncing back after tragedy, so when you’ve outgrown a pair of slacks for work, instead of dropping it at a clothing center, take it to a charity that will in turn give it to a woman who needs a suit or dress pants for her first job interview in her new life!
- Buy Local Produce. Have one more excuse to go to the farmers market on the weekend because by supporting your local farmers, you help keep a family fed and employed, which in turn creates a chain reaction to help stimulate the economy. Consider it the butterfly effect of local commerce.
- Adopt, don’t shop! I love big mutts and I cannot lie. Mutts have a special place in my heart and we actually got our dog from the Humane Society in Atlanta 5 years ago. While he is a wack-a-doo, he is the best thing I’ve ever bought and I can’t be more thankful for local animal shelters.
- Vote to help Jewelers Mutual donate a record-breaking $2M to charities that help support health, home, and hunger!
This year, let’s commit to taking action on giving back to our community in any way possible, monetarily, physically and emotionally. The world needs good hearts to lighten up the dark spaces, so let’s be the good we want to see in the world.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.