I’m having a hard time wondering why no one has done this before.
When we returned home from Italy, all I could think of was how badly I wanted fudgy gooey brownies and macarons. We, unfortunately, had to sprint through Charles De Gaulle on our layover in Paris to make our connecting flight home, so I didn’t get to buy $50 worth of Laduree macarons on the flight home as I had hoped.
So I decided I was going to make an upscale version of slutty brownies, affectionately called Escort Brownies from here on out. Just let your imagination figure out why I decided on that name. #HighClass #SheWorksHardForThe$$
Now this recipe might seem expensive, but it’s really not any more costly than you would spend on regular Slutty Brownies, but it tastes 1000x better than the original.
To recreate this recipe exactly, all you need is a box of Trader Joe’s Truffle Brownie Baking Mix, 2 boxes of Trader Jacques chocolate and vanilla French macarons, an extra bar of dark chocolate, one stick of butter and eggs.
1) Preheat oven to 325 (make sure your oven temperature is lower than on the box since the thickness of this dish will need longer cooking time)
2) Make brownie dough according to the directions on the side of the box.
3) Pour half of it in the bottom of your baking dish. I used a Le Creuset Rectangular Baking Dish which was great because I didn’t have to spray non-stick spray since Le Creuset is essentially non-stick.
4) Arrange macarons as the middle layer. You don’t have to leave spaces like I did, you can put all 24 squished together in the middle.
5) Cover macaron layer in a protective coat the remaining brownie batter. *Leftover macaron can be placed on top for extra decoration, but with my experience, I wouldn’t recommend it.
6) Place raw brownies in the oven at 325 F for 30 minutes/ 35 minutes until toothpick comes out mostly clean.
7) Lick spoon and wait for your treats to be done.
Once the brownies have passed the toothpick test (don’t cook these to complete done-ness for the macarons sake, you want slightly gooey), let them sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Trust me, unless you want a lava of gooey brownie to deal with (which is really every girls fantasy, let’s be real), then you are going to want to wait a little while before serving. For now, snack on any leftover macaron you have laying around.
As you can see, I placed some macaron on top of the brownies. Since this was my first go at trying this, I wanted to see what it would be like. I do NOT recommend placing macaron on top. Since the cookies themselves are so delicate, they crisp up and completely change in flavor and texture once they are placed in the oven. Once you’re ready to cut and serve, make sure to have some milk around. These brownies are exceptionally rich and deliciously decadent. You get a nice “chew” from the macaron nestled in the middle, but the brownies themselves stay nice and gooey. Perfect for making into an Ice Cream sundae or being civilized and eating with a fork. These are UPSCALE slutty brownies after all, you wouldn’t succumb your escort treats to eating with your hands would you? This is perhaps one of the greatest recipes I’ve created in a while, not diminishing the other lovely things I’ve made on this blog, but these treats are truly worth a try. They’d be especially great to show off at your Thanksgiving feast this year and you could even try them with other flavors of macaron such as pumpkin, raspberry, strawberry or lemon.
If you make these, tag me on Instagram, would love to see how they turn out for you.
These brownies work hard for the money.